My name is Jonene Ficklin, and I'm a full-time wife, mom, writer, and professional artist. I've been drawing since I was old enough to hold a pencil. I use colored pencils, oil paints, and watercolors. I love what I do!

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Watercolor Portrait of Sweethearts



Recently, I had the honor of painting a portrait for a newlywed couple. If you're up for a time lapse, here is the finished painting and the steps it took to finish it.

(Disclaimer: please forgive the inconsistencies in the coloring of the photographs. They were taken at different times of day, and it affected the lighting.)

 First I sketched in the portrait with a grey watercolor pencil. Then I applied liquid frisket (the orange you see) over the areas I wanted untouched while I painted the background.
 The forest in the far background came next.
 Now I added green lawn, deep shadows, roughed in the leaves in the background and began detail work on the leaves in the foreground.
 I deepened the shadows in the leaves and added more detail. But it needs some deeper coloring.
 So I went back and added in a lot of reds.
 Now it's time to work on the trees. I remove the frisket.
 I paint in the trees in the midground.
 I begin the faces. For the most part in watercolors, you add your light colors first and your darks last.
 I'm deepening the skin colors and bringing in more reds.
 Now I'm adding deeper browns.
 This is a close up, so you can see what it looks like without the darks.
 Adding more reds and some deep tones.
 Now the faces are taking shape.
 Eyes.
 They bring life to the painting.
 At last, eyelashes on the bride and a goatee for the groom.
I need to deepen the skin tones and add more detail to the faces.
 It still needs more.
 Hair helps a lot.
 And blue jeans.
 And shirts.















 They're still a bit washed out. It's time to really hit the reds, shadows and details of the faces.


 It's done!

10 comments:

  1. That is so cool! Thanks for sharing and the finished product is BEAUTIFUL. You have lucky kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing! I can't believe you can just paint like that. You are so dang talented!! How's your writing coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, thanks so much! The writing is coming along great! I'm hoping to having the pirate story done by WIFYR. How is your writing coming along? I'd love to hear what you're working on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so talented! I love the time lapse. It really gives us an idea of how many hours went into it. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Lydia. The hours fly by when it's something fun like this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh! So much talent! Congrats on your son's wedding! They're a lovely couple.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yamile, thanks! How are you and how is your writing coming?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Win Ex lover back in 48 hours......

    He cures herpes with herbal mixture

    100% result guaranteed..

    -GENITAL AND ORAL HERPES
    -HPV
    -DIABETES
    -ERECTILE ERECTION
    –HEPATITIS A,B AND C
    -COLD SORE
    -LOWER RESPIRATORY INFECTION
    -STROKE
    -IMPOTENCE
    -HYPERTENSION
    -SHINGLES
    -FIBROID
    -BARENESS/INFERTILITY….

    ____________________R.buckler11 @gmail....com,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

    ReplyDelete

Theme images by Zarin Ficklin. Powered by Blogger.

Copyright 2011 Joneneficklin.com

Site by Zarin Ficklin