My name is Jonene Ficklin, and I'm a full-time wife, mom, writer, and professional artist. I've been drawing since I was old enough to hold a pencil. I use colored pencils, oil paints, and watercolors. I love what I do!

Thursday, November 25, 2010

What Is Missing With Pumpkin Pie?

Happy Thanksgiving!

And, oh, the memories that come back, year after year . . .

My father is a wonderful gardener. He can coax life into anything, and he has a soft spot for pumpkin pie.

So we grew pumpkins. About this time of the year, the pumpkins were carried and rolled into the house, along with the anticipation of what they’d bring.

My sisters and I would go to work. We’d cut the pumpkins open and dive our hands into the slimy middle. We’d pull and rip and scoop, building mountains of stringy goo and seeds.

While we cooked, peeled, and blended up pumpkin, our brothers gleefully extracted the seeds from the mountain on the table.

What is it about boys and gross things? We’d hear whispered comparisons followed by chortles of laughter and slimy hands stuck in our faces.

Ah, lovely, lovely memories.

But then the next phase came. My brothers washed and then boiled the seeds in salt water, while we made pie crusts and pumpkin filling.

The seeds were oiled, salted and baked on cookie sheets. Sometimes we tried different seasonings. My favorite included Worcestershire sauce.

Then we’d put the pies in the oven and the house filled with a plethora of smells.

Now it was time for the feasting.

Nothing builds anticipation like several seasons of planting, weeding, harvesting, processing and baking. And on a blustery day, nothing tastes as good as pumpkin pie and pumpkin seeds.

So here I am, grown up with my own family. I still enjoy making pies from scratch, especially when the weather grows cold. But I haven't had any luck growing pumpkins. The one year I succeeded, my single pumpkin was the size of a tangerine.

Luckily, there are grocery stores.  And I laugh every time I pick up a can of Libby’s Pumpkin. The problem is, they forget to can the seeds.

4 comments:

  1. What you work for over a period of time always seems more valuable somehow than what you can get by just reaching out and buying ready-made. Have a great Thanksgiving and savor each moment with your family today, tucking them away in the photo album of your mind.
    Happy Holidays, Roland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roland, I couldn't agree more. I'm glad you can't buy memories in a can. I wish the best for you and your family. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww, what a sweet post. I could so picture the pumpkin cleaning fun. I remember very similar evenings. :) Just think about the gift you are giving your children by making the pies and sharing your time with them. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leisha, thanks! We do have fun -- especially the eating part. Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

    ReplyDelete

Theme images by Zarin Ficklin. Powered by Blogger.

Copyright 2011 Joneneficklin.com

Site by Zarin Ficklin