My name is Jonene Ficklin, and I'm a full-time wife, mom, writer, and professional artist. I've been drawing since I was old enough to hold a pencil. I use colored pencils, oil paints, and watercolors. I love what I do!

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

What Are YOU Made Of?

Have you listened to kids lately? You never know what they’re going to say. I just learned an interesting fact. Do you remember this old Mother Goose rhyme?


What are little boys made of?

Snips and snails, and puppy dogs tails

That's what little boys are made of !"

What are little girls made of?

"Sugar and spice and all things nice

That's what little girls are made of!"

Well, it’s wrong. Little girls are not made from everything nice. They’re made from liver. Don’t believe me? Well, here’s how I found out.

Tonight, a child told me the TRUE version of how Eve came to be. You see, long ago in the Garden of Eden, Adam was lonely. God wanted Adam to be happy, so he reached in, grabbed Adam’s liver from his side and made a woman.

No, it wasn’t a rib. It wasn’t an eyebrow, shinbone, or fingernail. C&H wasn’t around, nor were spice traders. The sad truth is: Eve came from liver. Therefore, all girls came from liver. That includes me.

But I don’t like liver. (See my blog from Friday, July 30, 2010.) Yet, here I am, liver-Jonene. Go figure.

I definitely need to get my facts straight. So, I’m going to go listen to children some more. But while I’m gone, you can get your own education from the mouths of babes at this link:

http://forums.dealofday.com/threads/73144-Funny-things-kids-say.............

This is a sample of kid-translation:

When Terry's son was 5 they introduced him to a family favorite: sauerkraut and dumplings. He tried a few bites, then put down his fork and proclaimed: "I don't like this sour crap and dumb things!"

I think I agree with Terry’s son.

So, what’s the funniest thing you’ve learned from a child?

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link! I needed a good laugh today. Hmmm. Funny things kids say? Once during church my son sat silently through a very long talk. Needless to say, I was impressed, shocked, and pretty sure the end was nigh because this was such an unusual event. Then when the speaker finished, my son jumped to his feet, swiped his brow, and blurted in a very loud voice to the almost slumbering congregation, "Whew! That was close!"

    They woke up. We left as soon as the closing prayer ended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned that what you hear isn't always what you think it is.
    My son once asked me, "What is black-toast intolerance?" when he overheard someone talking about why they can't drink milk.
    I couldn't stop laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have loved to hear your answer!

    ReplyDelete

Theme images by Zarin Ficklin. Powered by Blogger.

Copyright 2011 Joneneficklin.com

Site by Zarin Ficklin