My name is Jonene Ficklin, and I'm a full-time wife, mom, writer, and professional artist. I've been drawing since I was old enough to hold a pencil. I use colored pencils, oil paints, and watercolors. I love what I do!

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Lesson 26 - Tahitian Girl - Island

Since I'm on a roll with islands, let's draw one.
1. Using Cream, lightly encircle the area immediately below the sun, and the area where the beach touches the sea. Now, take Warm Grey 90 % #1058, and lay in your darkest shadow, which is most of the island. Where the sun shines across, make that layer very light and thin.



2. Go over the dark grey with Dark Brown # 946. Again, make your strokes very thin and light just beneath the sun. This island will be very dramatic.



3. Now we'll soften our dark tones by going over it again with Light Umber #941. Touch on the beach area, too. We don't want that too light.



4. Here's where we really add the drama. Taking Cream #914, hit the area right below the sun again, and softly add in some sun rays playing over the island's curves.



5. We'll add some real warmth to the lower sun area with Canary Yellow #916.



6. For the finishing touch, take White #938 and really whiten the area below the sun, blending into the yellows and browns, so it's a very soft transition - making it glow. Fun, huh?



Next week: the sea!

6 comments:

  1. It's so tantalizing sitting in the background. It makes me want to go explore the island. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, how do you know how to do this? I mean, with the details of the island...do you have a photo you're working off of, or is this all imagination, even the beach and the terrain of the island?

    It is looking so great! I love getting my weekly fill of the progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lydia, I'm using several photographs, and take parts from each of them to bring out the image I want to show. Thank you! We're quickly closing in on the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Julie. It's a lot of fun to do!

    ReplyDelete

Theme images by Zarin Ficklin. Powered by Blogger.

Copyright 2011 Joneneficklin.com

Site by Zarin Ficklin