My name is Jonene Ficklin, and I'm a full-time wife, mom, writer, and professional artist. I've been drawing since I was old enough to hold a pencil. I use colored pencils, oil paints, and watercolors. I love what I do!

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Christmas Spirit

Yup, December is busy. I sat down last night and made my two week pre-Christmas to-do list. It was long. Very long. There are things to buy, things to do, things I don’t even want to get started on—but better. I was wondering if I'd be able to catch the spirit of Christmas with so much to do.

In the other room, I could hear my husband and kids laughing. So I hurried to print out my list, tack it up, and go join my family.

They were busy decorating the Christmas tree. (Isn’t it awesome to have older children?) What was amazing is, except for my son in Brazil, all of them were home. That almost never happens anymore.

They were pouring through the box of decorations, talking about the ornaments and the memories they held. My daughter proposed putting on some old home videos, so we did. She selected one from long, long ago. I got to see my Brazilian son on video, and although much younger, it was almost like having him there with us.

Is it just me, or do kids grow up overnight? Nothing made it more apparent than the video. They were so small and cute, with chubby cheeks and helium voices—scurrying all over like ants on caffeine.

Everyone stopped decorating and sat down. We laughed, and remembered and our home never felt cozier. Before we knew it, it was ten o’clock, and we’d just had one of those evenings I won't soon forget. I'm so glad I left my list and joined in.

But my list still sits there, taunting me - and it doesn’t matter. I'll get it done, but at least I’ve got the spirit of Christmas now - the right one. The way it came isn't what I expected. That's life. The best moments seem to come hidden inside silly things like traditions and tasksespecially when they're shared.

2 comments:

  1. That was awesome and sweet and touching, and you rock. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Leisha! It's great just to quit everything and enjoy life. You have to do that sometimes : )

    ReplyDelete

Theme images by Zarin Ficklin. Powered by Blogger.

Copyright 2011 Joneneficklin.com

Site by Zarin Ficklin